BioSciences at Rice is committed to recruiting and retaining diversity in our Faculty. To accomplish this, we take the following actions:
- Prior to the search, a search plan is reviewed and approved by the department chair, the Dean of Natural Sciences and the Vice Provost for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- Members of the faculty search committee receive training on implicit bias, equitable review of applications and interview practices from the Office of Faculty Development.
- We work to recruit applications from diverse applicants by advertising widely and direct appeals to historically excluded groups through social media and other avenues.
- Faculty search committees are staffed with diversity in mind.
- Faculty retention is supported by a junior faculty mentoring programs within and across departments.